Chemistry has never been so much fun! I mentioned a couple of life science-related iPhone and iPod Touch apps recently and I could have very well included the following app too: Compounds (Well, technically I couldn’t because it’s rather new, only a week old!).
So, what does it do? Compounds is a stoichiometry “grams-to-moles” calculator and works like a charm:
1. Add compounds to the beaker.
2. Rotate iPhone to enter the formula.
3. Type in the formula for each compound using the Period Table as a keyboard.
4. Enter the coefficients (or ratios).
5. Shake! to solve.
6. Adjust the amount in grams of any compound and see the results immediately.
I’ve had the privilege of giving it a test run and I must say it’s pretty cool. The “shake to solve” feature is great!
Keep in mind that it’s not a Periodic Table app, it just presents the periodic table as an easier way to type in your compounds. Nice touch, if I must say so.